Pulsar Revisions on their way!!!

Thread: Pulsar Revisions on their way!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pulsar Revisions on their way!!!

Greetings to all.

It is time to let everyone know that we have been working on some very nice updates on the Pulsar for the past months. We have been listening to what customers want and we came up with some "options" to the existing Pulsar to enhance its capability. With the pending delivery of the first mills to our new location in Winston Salem, North Carolina, these mills will have the following added capabilities.

1. Pulsar mill with Servo motor. This mill is the backbone of the Pulsar. It uses a 1.2 KW 3 Phase commercial servo motor with precise positioning capability that allows full rigid tapping. The first in its class! The 4500 RPM spindle speed is achieved with a belted pulley ratio of 1:1.5. This spindle has very good power and a decent speed range for most any work.

2. Pulsar mill with new 750 Watt, 6000 RPM, 3 Phase motor. With a pulley ratio of 1:1, this will give higher spindle speed with excellent power. Unfortunately, the rigid tapping is not available with the rigid tapping option. The VFD driver will be the same style as the Torus PRO with excellent reliability.

3. Pulsar with 9000 RPM Spindle. This version uses the same motor as option 2, but we change the belting pulley ratio to 1:1.5. This configuration will give the highest speed possible for smaller work for finer milling detailing such as engraving. Even at lower RPM, there will be good power, but may be limit the types of tooling that can be used at ultra low RPM.

On all of the new Pulsar mills, the Lever Draw Bar (LDB) has been improved for better precise height adjustment for lever engagement to the draw bar thrust washers. More importantly, it adds 50% more thrust for tool retention. it now uses a washer configuration of "<<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>>" which boosted our overall available pressure while allowing a good range for compression for tool release.

With these changes to the spindle for the improved LDB, it also will set the stage for the addition of Ray's PDB and ATC option coming soon. Earlier Pulsars can still be upgraded with this spindle and get the PDB and ATC options.

As more information comes available, we will release this in future publications.

Regards to all,

John

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pulsar Revisions on their way!!!

That is some cool stuff, John.
    I haven'[t decided yet just what I want in a new machine, but I think a PDB and ATC will top my list.
    As a side note, a few of us have been running the Pulsars reliably at 5200 RPM under Path Pilot control. I was running 360 IPM rapids, but reduced the Y to 260 because of a couple of skipped steps. I will bump it back up and then just try reducing acceleration just a bit instead.
    This gets the job done 3 times faster than before.
    It helps too that I am using Fusion 360 now for the Cam side and it generates more logical Gcode for machined parts than Sheetcam. Sheetcam will get it done though.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They say good things come in small packages! I can only assume 2 small packages are even better!!

I am stoked for the 9k spindle RPM! For 2 years I was limited to 4,000 rpm on my Bridgeport. (and even that was for no more than 30 minutes at a clip. So I ran mostly at 3,000. Stupid Bridgeport) Then with my Torus Pro, bumping up to 6,000 rpm made such a HUGE difference for me. I do a lot of surfacing with small diameter ball end mills (1/16 -3/16) as well as a lot of logo engraving. My old Bridgeport VMC's had 8,000 rpm so my new Pulsars will have even more to work with. Happy days

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I was running 360 IPM rapids, but reduced the Y to 260 because of a couple of skipped steps. I will bump it back up and then just try reducing acceleration just a bit instead.
    This gets the job done 3 times faster than before..
    Did you get that with stepper motors? Do you remember what you got from Mach?

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

That is with steppers.
    I am not really sure what it came setup with, but I never tried to tweak it. Probably around 120 IPM. Three times faster with the same machine and another Mesa Card really does show in production. Excellent.

Heck I may not need a second machine.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's pretty amazing. I didn't know those kinds of speeds were possible on these machines. Not that I need that, I am not a job shop and typically do only 1 of most of the parts I make. But now and then I get a part that seems to be rapid intensive.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can thank John for designing the machine, Tormach for developing Path Pilot, and Brian for doing all the leg work and head scratching to get it together. I know I do.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pulsar Revisions on their way!!!

Lee - thx for the kudos. It's pretty crazy when you see the machine rapid toward the workpiece that fast. Greg I actually had my pulsar going up to 420 IPM per axis on the steppers but missed a few steps so I backed off. Keep in mind the 360ipm is per axis - so combined rapid rate is actually over 500 IPM.

John I would seriously think about offering a LinuxCNC setup. That way it's a very short leap to those who want to go with PathPilot.

Downloads
    Uploads

I find these posts very good reading. It is as though I have a well tuned research shop at my fingertips with all of the talent out there! We have been discussing some additional options and there will be more coming down the road. My first task though is to get the new shop finished and get Greg's mills and a few others shipped.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    My first task though is to get the new shop finished and get Greg's mills and a few others shipped.

John
    The new shop can wait!!

Greg